Thursday, May 17, 2012

CROATIA & BOSNIA: THOUGHTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT

For everyone who answered the call to participate in what God was doing in Poland last summer, I received another call from Greg asking me to be a part of a team that is going to Croatia and Bosnia in late June, early July. Last year there were a few obstacles that arose immediately making my trip nothing short of a miracle. This time there is a different set of obstacles.

Pursuit of a Legacy was inspired by my grandparents who dedicated their life to the Lord, and in doing so left a legacy I am proud to be a part of. Last year I talked about how it took their death to wake me up to what it means to leave a legacy. This year, God has used my mother in-law's battle with cancer to remind me that our time here is short and very precious. If time is a gift, then I have that time for a reason. Something I find myself asking is “why do we have as much or as little time as we have?” I trust that God has a plan for all of us. I don't know all the details of that plan but I pray that he will continue to lead my family and me where he wants us to go.

I mentioned earlier that time was one of the biggest hurdles in being able to go to Poland. This year it has been trying to establish an appropriate order for the priorities in our lives. In particular,  Alisha's mom has had a brutal battle with cancer that is still going on as I write this letter. It has been a very trying and conflicting time for us as a family. I trust that my mother in-law is in the Lord's hands and that he will use this time in her life to reveal his love and mercy. Death is such a controversial topic, yet so much money is spent to avoid it. Our lives are so finite and yet most of us live as if death will never find us. I think watching someone you love, fighting to live reveals what you really believe about death and eternity. You can't avoid the questions, what does this all mean, what will happen when I die, or why is this happening to me? One thing I have realized is, it is all about perspective. Those who are in Christ should find death as an act of grace; a gateway to our union to the Father. However, for those that are not in Christ, death is a curse. This brings us back to time. We are now gifted with the time to obey the call to Proclaim! Proclaim the hope that death has been defeated and that love is the victor. That is true for my mother in-law and my neighbors and the people of Croatia and Bosnia. We all need that truth. That truth will set us free. That is the legacy I want to continue to pursue and I don't want death to deter me from pursuing it. It has instead inspired me all the more.

Speaking of inspiration; I have been trying to think of a new slogan for this trip. The phrase that keeps coming to mind is Music On Mission. I like the idea of doing something I love and being on mission while doing it. That is what most of us look for in life; doing something we love and blessing others in the process. What a great concept of mixing passion and missions. But, what does it mean to be on Mission? I know most people see missions as a going out to some far off place to do something super spiritual or telling people who are "really bad" about Jesus. Well, that is not the case. As much as I want to make shirts to promote my missions over seas; I really should make shirts that say Brunch on Mission. As much as I want to go overseas to share the gospel, I can't neglect going across the street with that same hope. Paul says that we should become all things for all men so that some may know Christ. I have seen the benefit of having concerts and evangelical outreach events and how successful that can be. But I also know that brunch can also create a great environment to love my neighbors and share the hope that I have in Christ. I am excited that God allows me to use music to tell his story of redemption, but I also love that He lets me use food, dogs, and all sorts of normal everyday activities to be on mission with Him.

So, let us all be encouraged to rejoice in the time that we have to love everyone that God has put in our path. May we see life as a gift to celebrate His creation and His victory over death.  Let us reject the lies that prevent us from being who God made us to be and do what God has gifted us to do.

Thank you to everyone who has supported me with prayer and encouragement. Thank you to everyone who has been obedient to support us financially. And, thank all of you for being family to us.

The Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment