Monday, August 8, 2011

FINAL POLAND UPDATE

Wow, how do I begin? I have just returned from a life-changing trip to Poland and I wish I could explain the joy in my heart.  I really believe words are too limiting, but I will give it a shot.


Yes we did what we set out to do. We were able to successfully spread God’s good news through music, street evangelism, community projects, and by loving on little children.

The Polish people were so blown away that anyone, much less teams of people from all over the world, would come and serve their community, to restore rundown homes, restore playgrounds, hangout with gypsy and orphaned children, and put on professional concerts.  The city officials  and the citizens of these towns all saw something that they had never experienced -- selfless love.  The city officials even invited everyone to come back and do it all again. The local Christians were also blessed and encouraged to participate in the harvest of God's lost children, as many people answered the call to follow Christ. This trip was a success on all fronts. 

Were there hard times? Were there any complications? Did I ever feel like a failure? Yes. Absolutely. Plenty of times. But then I remembered what Bob, our tour manager, said as he found out that he had to fly back to America to get emergency medical attention; (and I’m paraphrasing) “God lets things go wrong so He can make us more like His son Jesus.” 


There were a lot of challenges on this trip and I can see how God used each one of those situations to shape us into the people and the team that God wanted us to become. Looking back, at some point along the trip each team member expressed their own amazement on how well the team worked together and handled all the proverbial bumps in the road. I must say that I was blessed to see the godliness and humility in the leadership on the trip. I was very inspired and blessed to see them lead the way that they led.

Everyone did their part and did it well.  
Everyone was patient and understanding as well as encouraging. And even with being so far away from my family while my mother in-law was having all of her surgeries, I  never felt  alone. These people, whom I had never met and had never met me, bore my burden and mourned and prayed with me. They became family.  They are all truly my friends.

So, I really believed that God wanted me to go to Poland to share the gospel. But as it turns out He wanted me to go to Poland to hear the gospel. I say that because, every time I shared my faith or encouraged someone to go deeper in their relationship with God, I was reminded of how faithful and loving and merciful God is. 

One instance in particular; I met a girl on my train ride  back to Warsaw. I shared with her my story and how God has worked in my life, my marriage, and my family. As I was talking, I was reminded of all the things God has done in my life. As I spoke, I was encouraged to trust Him even more with my future. And as the Holy Spirit was using me to speak the truth into her life, I realized that he was also speaking that truth over my life. It was such a good conversation and it reminded me of so many true and beautiful things that I so often forget. It was truly a blessing to hear all of the many mercies of God. Even though I was the one speaking those truths it was so good to hear them said out loud.


The trip was so good for me. I was challenged and blessed in so many ways. Over and over again I was challenged to think of missions in a new light. I really don't think that this is going to be my last trip overseas. I do believe that God is asking me to make another step in faith. I am not sure what that step looks like just yet, but I do know that I will be obedient and trust in Him.

If you will, please continue to pray for my family and me. We desire God's will for our lives, and if He is calling us to full time missions, we want to be obedient. 

And I also want to say think you for all of you who were praying for Alisha's mom Jenny. She made it through two surgeries and is not at home recovering. 

If anyone wants more information about Jenny or about this trip, please feel free to send us an email.

Thank you to everyone who has donated time, money, and prayers to this trip. We appreciate every one of you.

The Cook Family (David, Alisha, Isaac, and Liam)

1 comment:

  1. Sweet post wing man. You write well. Hope to hear form you soon. Still Prayin,

    WMA

    ReplyDelete